Thursday, September 29, 2011

Humbled by a World of Amazing Christians

I have a comfortable life. I freely admit it. I am truly blessed. I have a nice roof over my head, can buy whatever food I feel like eating, there are clothes already in the dressers and closets for this winter and I can stay home and raise my young son while my husband works his fairly secure job. ( I am beginning to think no job is truly secure in this day and age.) My biggest blessing is I can go to church when I want and where I want to. My neighbors, the cashier at Wal-mart, and the policeman down the street can all know my husband and I are Christians, and there is no fear connected to them knowing. I am a fearful person by [sin] nature, so if there were anything to fear, you know I would be on top of it!

So, when I read about our brothers and sisters in other countries I am humbled and amazed. I was reading yesterday and today about Youcef Nadarkhani, the Iranian pastor who is looking martyrdom in the face. I am struck by his answer to the courts request for him to repent and return to Islam.

When asked to repent, Nadarkhani stated: "Repent means to return. What should I return to? To the blasphemy that I had before my faith in Christ?"

I think part of me wants to believe that my fellow brothers and sisters around the world live a relatively comfortable life. While I know there is poverty and economic hardships, I want to believe that persecution and martyrdom are a thing of the archaic past. But a comfortable life is not what our Lord promises us, actually we are kind of promised the opposite. Oh, we can cover our eyes and ears, pretend suffering for the Cross is only figurative, but we would be lying to ourselves. Suffering is real. Pain, imprisonment, and martyrdom are really happening today around the world. It is time we start realizing our God created the WHOLE world, and be a voice for our brothers and sisters in prayer and whatever other means the Lord opens up for us.

 I only hope that when I am called to represent my Lord, that I can be as bold as my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I am praying for you Youcef Nadarkhani.

No comments:

Post a Comment