Monday, March 27, 2017

But why...

The other day N asked me the question every parent dreads. No not the "where do babies come from" question, but "Why does God let bad things happen?" I think I would have rather he asked the baby question!

N had just finished reading a Bible story. It mentioned that John the Baptist was in prison, whom N had learned about last week. He came to me asked if Jesus rushed to rescue him, especially because
John was Jesus' earthly cousin. (Cousins are serious business around here.) I explained that no, unfortunately John the Baptist ends up dying in prison. After a moments silence, N asked tears in his eyes, "But why..."

More silence as I metally panicked...

Then, after taking a deep breath and a quick prayer for wisdom  I answered my tenderhearted little fella the best I could.

I started with, "I don't know why". I read somewhere it was okay to admit that we don't know to our kids, instead of making up a pat answer. It seemed at the very least honest! But I immediately followed it with what I do know.

1) That God was able to rescue John. The fact that John the Baptist was in prison did not surprise God. God was able to rescue him, but John had a mission to tell others about the coming Messiah. And sin has broken the world. It is a theme we talk about a lot, especially when questions on why God made fleas and mosquitoes. God gave man the ability to choose, and sometimes people make bad, even evil choices that effect other people.

2) God loved John. Oh, how He loved him. How much? Jesus ultimately died to cover John's sins. But also in Matthew 14, when Jesus hears about John's death, Jesus immediately goes off by Himself to, I believe, mourn the death of a relative and a dear saint.  Psalms tells us that "precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints." (Ps.116:15). There is no doubt, God loved John.

3) God had a plan for John. From before he was conceived, John had a mission. He had a purpose, he was the one to point peoples need for a Savior. Prior to this, the people of Israel thought they need someone to rescue them from Roman oppression. John brought the message that the people needed rescuing from a captor greater than the mighty Romans, they needed their soul released from the shackles of sin. Even from prison, John continued to point people to the Savior.

4) John trusted God and it was enough. I think this point was the one that really hit home with me! When I think of Bible heroes who trusted God, John the Baptist is  not one of the first to come to mind. I think of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, or Daniel. Yet, John knew who Jesus was, what Jesus could do, and yet he still sat in prison pointing people to Christ. He was still on mission. I want to have that kind of faith and trust in my Lord when I grow up!

After, what must of seemed like a long answer to a six year old, N skipped off to play. The answer was sufficient and while he was still sad for John the Baptist, he was content with God's handling of the situation. I wish my faith and trust in my Savior and the Creator of the world was that pure. I wish peace was the pervading emotion I felt when I look at the world around me. I guess that is what "child like faith is".


2 comments:

  1. A great video series that helped my son understand why bad things happen in the world is "What's in the Bible? with Buck Denver". I learned a few things watching it with him too. Now whenever the urge to ask, "Why does God let bad things happen?" B stops himself and says, "Oh, yeah, sin is in the world." A simple answer but he's 8 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! And sometimes the simple answer is the best answer...we as adults want to make things so much more difficult!And great suggestion!!!

      Delete