Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Perceptions

Spring break has been a bear to bare! N has been starting every morning from the moment he wakes up (daylight savings time came with spring break this year, much to my chagrin) with questions of what fun thing are we going to do today. Are we going to the zoo, the children's museum, hiking in the refuge, or even the park? It was getting so bad, and honestly it was not N's norm. He usually barely notices school breaks, but his persistence for something fun was reaching Christmas morning levels. 

The results of contentment!
After a strong cup of coffee and some Tylenol (I despise daylight savings time), I sat N down and asked him what was going on. After a few minutes I discovered that in Sunday School his friends were talking about what they were doing for Spring Break. One little girl in particular was spending the week with her Nana. In N's mind, the little girl was having a week long slumber party at her Nana's house. I explained that the little girl's parents both worked and that was why she was going to her Nana's house, and it was more like babysitting than slumber party. Only after being presented with the facts did contentment returned to my 1st grader. N realized he had perceived something he heard wrong and it made him discontent with what he had.

I don't know about you but I am guilty of this so many times! Mostly, it stems from something I see on Facebook (or Evilbook as my hubby calls it, mainly because so many of my struggles and insecurities come from there. And LuLaRoe...I need a support group when it comes to LuLaRoe.)  I see a family going on a vacation to Disney World, or going to the beach, or taking their kids to fun extracurricular activities and I become discontent. I become more sullen and grouchy then N ever thought about being, wishing if only. And I realized that the points I made to N, apply to me too...

1) I don't know the whole story. Just like N filled in the circumstances around his friend's break, I am guilty of doing the same when I see someone doing something "fun". But I don't know what is going on...Maybe the family just experienced an incredible loss, or have a parent about to deploy. Maybe someone is just blessing them with this fun experience. And honestly, it is none of my business (Shockers of all shockers!)

2) There might have been sacrifices. If I sat down and added up my Coke Zero habit, it would be a small hung of change...(Now if we did Anthony's Diet Dr. Pepper, we would be rich.) It might be simplistic but choices do affect what we are able to do. Do I want to change my caffeine intake...not really (and the world is grateful). So, I should be content with my choices and the results.

3) We only see what others want us to see. This is the real danger of Facebook or really any social media. We only see what others post, not the whole picture. N's friend made staying at her Nana's house sound glorious and in his mind he embellished it until it grew into a green-eyed monster. There is a big difference between being babysat to a week long slumber party. But how many times are we guilty of the same. We trully need to take everything we see and read on social media with a BRICK of salt, and not let it destroy our contentment.
Myrtle Beach

Discontentment is one of the ways the Enemy tries to hamper our effectiveness, distract us, or even destroy our calling. We need to remember what we are called to do, Who called us, and our "why". Focus on that. Measure what we do against what God says, not what social media says. Godliness with contentment is so important and it will go a long way toward giving us a sweet and encouraging spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment